Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have an existing LLC which filed as a partnership and then…

I have an existing...

I have an existing LLC which filed as a partnership and then as a schedule when it became a one member LLC. I now want to be treated as an s-corp in 2018. Do I need to file both 8832 and 2553 or just the 2553?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Not that I know of

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

You'll need to file both. You need to file the 8832 to elect for your LLC to be treated as a corporation rather than a partnership. Then, the Form 2553 must be filed to elect for your corporation to be taxed as an S Corp rather than a C corp.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

I only filed as a partnership a couple of years ago when I had another member. Have been a single member for several years and have been filing a schedule C for the past few years as a single member. Do I still have to file the 8832?

Yes, because according to the IRS, you originally elected for the LLC to be treated as a partnership. You can't file the Form 2553 election until you file the Form 8832 notifying the IRS you are changing from the partnership designation to the corporation designation.

Got it. Thank you.

You're very welcome! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

Richard, Tax Attorney

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time!