Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have an existing LLC which filed as a partnership and then…

I have an existing...

I have an existing LLC which filed as a partnership and then as a schedule when it became a one member LLC. I now want to be treated as an s-corp in 2018. Do I need to file both 8832 and 2553 or just the 2553?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Not that I know of

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

You'll need to file both. You need to file the 8832 to elect for your LLC to be treated as a corporation rather than a partnership. Then, the Form 2553 must be filed to elect for your corporation to be taxed as an S Corp rather than a C corp.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I only filed as a partnership a couple of years ago when I had another member. Have been a single member for several years and have been filing a schedule C for the past few years as a single member. Do I still have to file the 8832?

Yes, because according to the IRS, you originally elected for the LLC to be treated as a partnership. You can't file the Form 2553 election until you file the Form 8832 notifying the IRS you are changing from the partnership designation to the corporation designation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got it. Thank you.

You're very welcome! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

Richard, Tax Attorney

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time!

Richard, Tax Attorney