Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a tax question...My husband is a commericial

fisherman. He will be receiving...
I have a tax question...My husband is a commericial fisherman. He will be receiving a grant for a new engine. The grant is $121,000. He will receive $30,000 of it in cash. How do I report this? And they are keeping his old engine that is worth $6,000.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

The grant money are reported as income for tax purposes - that amount is included into gross income.

We need to verify which form your husband as a commercial fisherman is filing - and I will direct to exact line to report.

The disposition of his old engine will be reported as a sale transaction - with deemed sale price $6,000.

So - depending on his basis in this asset - he will realize a gain or loss.

The purchase price will constitute a basis of the new engine he will purchase.

That cost will generally be depreciated.

But under some circumstances - he might be able to use section 179 deduction and deduct the full purchase cost

You might want to verify his net income before deciding whether to use this option - or spread deduction over several years.

Let me know if you need further directions.

They just kept the engine. No money will be paid to him for it. So he has to claim it as though he sold it?
We file a schedule C on the 1040.

If there is no money given for the old engine - it will be deemed as sold at zero price - still disposition is reported - and he may have some loss form that disposition.

You will report that deemed sale transaction on form 4797.

On schedule C - include the grant amount on line 6 as Other Income

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sc.pdf

Depreciation deduction for a new engine will be calculated on form 4562 and reported on schedule C line 13.

Let me know if that helps.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
this helps. Thanks.