Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My wife and her sister own a home left by their mother.

My wife and her...

My wife and her sister own a home left by their mother. There are back taxes. How can my wife get her part of the value?

Accountant's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of

3/9/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

What do you mean under "her part" ? - are they not equal co-owners?
Also " left by their mother" - we need to be clear her mother passed away - and the property was transferred to your wife and her sister because of the death of the original owner - correct?

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Her part meaning her half - they received the property because of the death of the original owner
Phone call session started

As a followup...

Here is an article with statute references and annotation specifically for Texas

https://answers.uslegal.com/real-property/partition/15319/

It discussing a partition action to divide property at the beginning,

but when you scroll down

§ 12-1517. Sale of Property that Cannot be Partitioned — Procedure

That is probably your situation.

Please keep this article for your reference - it may help you when you approach another owner with your sale proposal.

I hope that helps.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor