Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Which page is that? How does it work? Do I ask my question…

Is this a free...

Is this a free service?

Accountant's Assistant: JustAnswer requires a modest payment. You'll see the amount on the next page. It's way less expensive than face-to-face would cost. And you're covered by our 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Which page is that?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

How does it work? Do I ask my question and then get to know how much the answer will cost before I get the answer?

Accountant's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Accountant's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Okay, My Mom recently moved to a retirement home. My family wants her to sell the house and I want to hire a property manager and rent it out to provide her with additional income. I need to find out how much she would pay in taxes if she sells her home. Her annual income is around 35K a year. The house would sell for 500K to 600K.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I don't know - what else could impact the answer?

3/9/2018
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional

Hello!

My name is***** will assist you today.

Please give me one moment while I review your question and type my initial response

To answer your question I will need more information about the home.

Was the home your mothers primary residence for at least two out of the previous five years?

Or was the home a second home or rental property?

She's lived there for 63 years.

Thank you for that information.

Your mother will generally qualify because the home was her primary residence to exclude $250,000 (or $500,000 if she files Married filling jointly) from her income.

Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Phone call session started

We also need to determine her cost basis in the home before we would be able to determine capital gains tax.

Your mothers cost basis, is the price she paid for the home originally plus her improvements over the 63 years she owned the home