Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Turbo tax tells me when I file using status Married filing…

Turbo tax tells me...

Turbo tax tells me when I file using status Married filing separately I have to itemize if my husband itemizes or if he doesn't itemize I cant either. How do I file if I don't have contact with him and I don't know how he files?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I would prefer to itemize but I don't know if my husband itemizes, I'm guessing he doesn't but we dont live together and haven't for 20 years we just haven't filed for divorce.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name’s Lane.

...

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Bear with me just a moment.

I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply.

...

I'll post that in just a few moments. Then, let me know if you have further questions on this

That's right ... But if you've been filing this way all along, it's likely a pretty good bet that he's been itemizing OR no filing.

...

This is not a new rule, and the system catches this immediately (if one files separately and the other doesn't) ... in fact, the only OTHER choice you'd have is to file as Married filing jointly (and you BOTH have to sign that one)

If you've always been doing this ... if you go ahead and file this way ... you'll only hear from them if your husband tries to file a joint return.

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will credit me for the work.

But again, let me know if you need more here,

Lane

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Prior years I've been able to file head of household with a dependent daughter but this year she is too old and on her own so it will be my first year to file under the new status.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was hoping there was some qualifier that after finances have been separate got x number of years that my tax filing status would no longer depend on his since it gives me no benefit

Sorry ...didn't see that you had come back ... just a sec

So sorry, no. Now that H of H isn't possible (tells you he's been filing separately or not filing all along), where you can be "considered as unmarried" becasue you lived apart for the last six months of the tax year, you can only file as married filing separately or married filing jointly.

...

SO sorry to be the messenger

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not the news I was hoping for but the news I needed. Thanks so much for your help. I'm done now, bye!

You're very welcome ... Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) …is thanks enough!

That's the only way I'll be compensated by JustAnswer for the work here

...

Thank you,

Lane

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS