Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I don't know how to fill out the schedule d tax worksheet or…

I don't know how...

I don't know how to fill out the schedule d tax worksheet or qualified dividends and capital gain tax worksheet

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I received a letter from the IRS about my 2016 return indicating that I should have filled that out and it would have reduced my tax obligation the gave me the reduction but I don't know how to figure it out for 2017

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

The mutual funds are from American funds - I have the 1099-DIV form. Last year the only thing I included was line 13 on Schedule D and lines 9a and 13 on my 1040

3/9/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

You may find the worksheet on two last pages in instructions.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sd.pdf

Just put information from your tax return and do that step by step

I will help you as needed.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.
On the 1099-DIV form, I have total ordinary dividends 1a, Qualified dividends 1b, and total capital gains distributions. How do I figure the tax on these items and how do I put this information into my return?

You will need to prepare your tax return before you will come to that worksheet.

1099-DIV form

box 1a Total ordinary dividends -->> 1040 line 9a

box 1b Qualified dividends -->> 1040 line 9b

box 2a Total capital gain distr -->> 1040 line 13

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks for trying. I knew what you responded. I don't know how to figure out if I qualify for a reduced tax rate.

You do qualify for reduced rate on the amount reported on 1040 line 9b.

Is that big amount?

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
$3631.
Where do I do the figuring of the reduced tax rate and how is this include in my return?

You will enter that amount from 1040 line 9b on line 2 on that worksheet.

Just fill all other information - and let me know line numbers and amounts

those you do not know - I will help.