Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have two businesses. One is an Amazon Seller business and…

I have two businesses...

I have two businesses. One is an Amazon Seller business and the other is an e-commerce business. I changed the EIN from the Amazon seller account to the one for the e-commerce account and am no longer using the one originally for Amazon. However, even though I changed the EIN on Amazon's website they still issued the 1099 for the first business EIN. How do I handle this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've accounted for everything under the second company and the first company is dissolved.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What do I need to do for my taxes?
3/9/2018
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

The "A" answer to your question is this: contact Amazon and inform them that they've reported your income under a closed tax ID number and request that they issue a corrected 1099.

The "B" answer is to ignore it and just include the amount of that 1099 on your tax return with the new ID. That way if you receive a CP 2000 notice from the IRS under-reporting unit, you can tell them that the amount was included and taxed.

Hope that answered your question. If so, please don't forget to rate this answer. You can always return here with follow up questions on this topic at no additional charge. Thank you for using Just Answer.

James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your help
James Daloisio
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney