Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Need my agi number. Need my agi number to file my taxes

Customer Question
Need my agi number ...

Need my agi number

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Need my agi number to file my taxes

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/9/2018
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 month ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name’s Lane …

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

I’m reading your question now.

Bear with me a moment while I type up my response.

….

Then if you have further questions we can go from there.

You need to check with your software of you need the full return, but if all you need is last year's AGI, the best/qucikest way to do that is to get a transcript.

...

A transcript summarizes return information and includes Adjusted Gross Income (AGI). They are available for the most current tax year after the IRS has processed the return. People can also get them for the past three years.

...

To get a transcript, people can:

...

• Order online. Use the ‘Get Transcript ’ tool available on IRS.gov. There is a link to it under the red TOOLS bar on the front page. Those who use it must authenticate their identity using the Secure Access process.
  • Order by phone. The number to call is(###) ###-####
  • Order by mail. Complete and send either Form 4506-T or Form 4506T-EZ to the IRS to get one by mail. Use Form 4506-T to request other tax records: tax account transcript, record of account, wage and income and verification of non-filing. These forms are available on the Forms & Pubs page on IRS.gov

...

Those who need an actual copy of a tax return can get one for the current tax year and as far back as six years. The fee per copy is $50. Complete and mail Form 4506 to request a copy of a tax return.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will credit me for the work.

But again, let me know if you need more here,

Lane

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Need my agi number to file my tax
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they will not give it to me over the phone

This time of year? ... it CAN be done, but be prepared to curl up with a good book and wait for one to 1.5 hrs.

...

Call the IRS, (see best practice for getting a warm bode, below) get in touch with a representative, and ask to be transferred to their "Advanced Accounts" department. They'll ask you a few questions (Mother's maiden name, estimate last year's tax withholding, estimate last year's salary, etc) that you'll have to answer correctly. The process takes ~10 minutes.

...

1-***-***-**** hours 7 AM - 7 PM your local time Monday-Friday

...

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.

- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.

It should then transfer you to an agent.

...

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will credit me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS