Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

We live in SC. My husband started working in GA in May of

Customer Question

We live in SC. My husband started working in GA in May of 2017. On his W-2, they only took out SC taxes. Do we file a GA non-resident return for GA?and if so, at do I put for income and taxes withheld since the company only withheld SC taxes?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: My husband lived in our camper while working in GA, and was in SC every weekend and on vacations. He didnt establish residency in GA
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Nonresidents, who work in Georgia or receive income from Georgia sources and are required to file a Federal income tax return, are required to file a Georgia income tax return. Some examples of Georgia source income are wages, Georgia lottery winnings, income from flow through entities (s-corporations, partnerships, LLC’s, trusts, and estates), rents, etc.

If you are a legal resident of another state, you are not required to file a Georgia income tax return if your only activity for financial gain or profit in Georgia consists of performing services in Georgia for an employer as an employee when the compensation for services performed does not exceed the lesser of 5% of the income received in all places during the taxable year or $5,000.00.

Based on the information you provided, you will file a GA non-resident state return.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The company only took out SC taxes and listed it as SC income on the W2. What would I list as GA income as they didn't break it down.
Expert:  Barbara replied 8 months ago.

All of the income was earned in GA, correct?

Expert:  Barbara replied 8 months ago.

Actually, from May through December.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, he worked in SC for 4 months and GA for 8. However all his company withheld was SC taxes. He works for Pepsico which is out of NY.
Expert:  Barbara replied 8 months ago.

Divide the total state wages by 12.

8 months gets reported as GA income.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
okay, but they didn't withhold taxes. So, we'll get a refund SC, but owe Ga state tax
es?
Expert:  Barbara replied 8 months ago.

You may owe GA once you complete the nonresident return to determine the taxable income.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
okay. Should he have his employer start withholding Ga state taxes while hes working there?
Expert:  Barbara replied 8 months ago.

Unfortunately, GA taxes income earned in GA even though your husband is a resident of SC.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
should we have his employer withhold GA taxes?
Expert:  Barbara replied 8 months ago.

He can ask his employer if they will withhold GA and SC taxes.

Expert:  Barbara replied 8 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.