Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My employer overpaid me all of 2017. What is the procedure…

Customer Question
My employer overpaid me...

My employer overpaid me all of 2017. What is the procedure going forth to return the money. I have already my taxes for 2017 and my employer has held my first 2 checks of 2018 and is taking 900 out each 2 weeks

Accountant's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

VA

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well I want to know also if I pay back the net amount or gross amt

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/9/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 month ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

The overpayment is in your NET wages, not your gross wages or your taxes. You did not receive the taxes that were deducted from the overpayment and should not have to repay your employer for any taxes withheld. If your employer has already paid its share of taxes on the overpayment, the employer must go through the proper procedure with the respective agencies to recover the overpaid taxes.

See the following: https://woman.thenest.com/employer-overpaid-wants-taxes-back-18359.html

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent