Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I had two houses in Texas. The one I live in is on reverse…

I had two houses in...
I had two houses in Texas. The one I live in is on reverse mortgage. The other house was a vacation home in another city and this house I recently sold. Is there any government tax I need to pay or declare on this sale. I am 79 years old and will turn 80 next month.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Unfortunately you do not get the Capital Gians Exclusion on your vacation home. You only get it on your primary residence. A person can only have one primary residence at any given time. However, no definition of principal residence is in the tax code. The courts decide "whether or not property is used by the taxpayer as his principal residence . . . based on all the facts and circumstances in each case, including the good faith of the taxpayer."

If you have resided in the house more often than not in 2 of the last seven years then it is possible that the house is your principle residence. But that also creates a conflict with your reverse mortgage.

BUT for a vacation home you will have to declare the capital gain.

The capital gain is the selling price, less expenses to sell the property, less any capital improvements (new roof for example), less the purchase price.

You declare this on Scedule D of your IRS form 1040.

As to the principle residence the the capital gain exclusion is up to $250,000.00 of gain for a single person $500,000.00 for a married couple.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney