Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

The IRS says I owe 9,902 I started an amended return. Where…

Customer Question
The IRS says I...

The IRS says I owe 9,902 I started an amended return. Where do I enter payments in column C if I have not payed that amount but my tax liability is less then the amount they are billing?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Received a bill. Have not paid the bill. Was told to amend the return to reduce tax liabilty. Under the amended return column section C what do I enter for payments.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Alimony was disallowed. I was told to amend the return with correct social and amend the amounts from the previously adjusted amounts by the IRS So under payments in the C column I need to know what amount I should be placing.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2018
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 4 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane

...

Column C is the new amount for certain subtotals, such as AGI from a completely re-worked return.

...

STEP 1:

First you re-do the full return based on what you think is now correct, or what you're being told to do.

...

STEP 2

THEN you do the 1040X which is simply a two page for that has certain totals for the old return, the return you originally filed (column A), then amount for that same subtotal (Adjusted Gross income, for example is the first total asked for) from your newly re-worked return.

...

Step 3

Then you simply do the math to show he difference between Column (A) - original amount ... and column (C) the new number from the re-worked return ... and put that in column C.

...

The PAYMENTS section of the return is not about any alimony payments, it's the section where you show any amounts paid in to offset the tax (such as withholding or estimated payments).

...

This (payments an withholding) offsets any tax due, to get you to a net amount owed (if payments and withholding were more than the actual tax owed)... or a refund, (if payments and withholding were MORE than what you actually owe).