Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My husband and I are both retired and collect social

My husband and I...

My husband and I are both retired and collect social security totally approx. $38 750; my husband has a small pension of&9061. we were told last year we did not have to file income tax. is this true

3/9/2018
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

That's true. Your combined income (your total income + 1/2 of your SS benefits) is less than 32K which means none of your SS benefits are taxable and the remaining 9061 of income is below filing requirements for couple filing jointly.

However, if you had any withholding, you will need to file a tax return if you want to claim the refund.

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser