Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am married, but filing separately from my husband. I live…

Customer Question
Hi, I am married...

Hi, I am married, but filing separately from my husband. I live in california, so I have to make a community property adjustment- but I dont understand what its asking me to enter

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

How do I calculate a community property income adjustment

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

We both live in California

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/8/2018
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional replied 1 month ago
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Hello!

My name is***** will assist you today.

Please give me one moment while I review your question and type my initial response

Community property adjustment is your total community property income divided in half. Essentially, you will claim half of your community property income and your husband report half.

___

Community income is income from:

• Salaries, wages, or pay for services of you, your spouse (or your registered domestic partner), or both during your marriage (or registered domestic partnership) while domiciled in a community property state
  • Real estate that is treated as community property under the laws of the state where the property is located.
  • Community property

Community property is property:

• That you, your spouse (or your registered domestic partner), or both acquire during your marriage (or registered domestic partnership) while you and your spouse (or your registered domestic partner) are domiciled in a community property state. (Includes the part of property bought with community property funds if part was bought with community funds and part with separate funds.)
  • That you and your spouse (or your registered domestic partner) agreed to convert from separate to community property.
  • That cannot be identified as separate property.

Please let me know your follow up questions.

Thank you

Please let me know if this has answered your question or if you have any additional questions.

When you have no further questions a positive rating of 5 stars is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®