Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

CAN A DOCTOR CLAIM HOME OFFICE EXPENSES Because i prescribe…

Customer Question
CAN A DOCTOR CLAIM...

CAN A DOCTOR CLAIM HOME OFFICE EXPENSES Because i prescribe and authorize care from my home

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I work from my home and look at patients charts blood work and order prescriptions from my home

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/8/2018
Tax Professional: Kelly McGlynn, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 4 months ago
Kelly McGlynn
Kelly McGlynn, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hello. Thank you for your question. I'm Kelly and am here to help you today. I am reviewing your question and will be with you shortly.

If you have an office in your home that is used strictly as a home office and nothing else, then yes, you can claim a home office deduction.

if I pay a rent and I have an office room in my apt and the apartment is two bedroom do I apply 50% of my expenses as office use expense on my 1040

Not exactly. You would need to calculate the % of space used for the office so you would need to know the total square feet of the apartment and the total square feet of the office. That is the % of expenses that you are allowed to take. There is also a simplified method that is a flat rate but you still need to have the square footage.