Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I bought a condo in 1994, live in it for 10 years, and have…

Customer Question
I bought a condo...

I bought a condo in 1994, live in it for 10 years, and have rented it since that time. I sold it in Feb. of this year, I have no other depreciable assets. I trying to find my tax rate.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Looking for the percentage of tax payable to Colorado.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
3/8/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 5 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

You have to report that sale on form 4797 because you used it for rental.You will pay tax on the gain portion of the sale. The gain is the difference in the original cost plus improvements less depreciation and the sale price less the cost to sale.

You must calculate first what your gain is on the sale.

The depreciation that you claimed is also going to be taxed under recapture rules.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Just checking to see if you responded