Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I sold my house on a short sale last year and I receives a…

Customer Question
I sold my house...

I sold my house on a short sale last year and I receives a 1099-c and line 2 line 7 is marked $amount of debt discharded was $200.551 and line 4 says mortage- short sale and line 5 says marked with a x. line 6 is marked F.

Accountant's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Accountant's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes line 7 was marked fair market as $0000

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/8/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 month ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Illinois is generally considered a recourse state.That actually means - if the property is sold for less than the mortgage balance whether a "short sale" or "foreclosure".The lender can come after you for any deficiency.That is why box on line 5 is checked.The amount reported in box 2 $200,551 is considered COD income - cancellation of debt income.In generally - it is taxable - but you might be eligible to exclude that debt from gross income if for instance you are insolvent.Let me know if you need any help with verification.
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor