Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I live in California and my wife lives in Illinois. How do…

I live in California...

I live in California and my wife lives in Illinois. How do we file. We own townhome in Illinois. do we file married separately or what do we do?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I live and work in California for all of 2017, we have no kids, but own a home together in Illinois. my wife works and lives in Illinois in our townhome. who will report the taxes, what filing status do we use. its so confusing.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I have student loans im paying. were not near retirement age only being 31 and I made considerable income this year over 90K.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

You can file joint for the federal and then separate for CA because your spouse was not a resident all year in CA.

If you file a joint federal return and one spouse is a full-year Illinois resident while the other is a part-year resident or a nonresident , you may choose to file “married filing separately.” Do not recompute any items on your federal return. Instead, you must divide each item of income and deduction shown on your joint federal return between your separate Illinois returns following the Allocation Worksheet in the Form IL-1040 Instructions.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4