Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I would like more information on IRS publication 926

Customer Question
I would like more...

I would like more information on IRS publication 926 Household employers tax guide

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My sister in law is disabled and has hired home care workers we are just paying them without taxes being taken out from monies that are given from the state of Oregon for her care

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Yes, she receives Medicaid Waiver Payments

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
I still haven't heard from anyone?
3/9/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 3 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Hi and welcome to our site!

Please post your actual questions?

based on these two things. We don't have to withhold taxes for the home care worker? Correct?

You may choose not to withhold - but in this case - you will have to pay both portion - employee and employer portion out of your pocket - that is allowed.

That will be reported on schedule H.

You are not required to withhold income tax for household employees.

I can chose not to withhold taxes. And not have to pay both portions. Right?

We are talking about different taxes

- income tax withholding - you may choose not to withhold - and the household employee will calculate and pay his/her own income taxes in full.

- employment taxes (social security and Medicare) - half is paid by the employer and another half is withheld from employee's wages - so for that last part - you may choose not to withhold - and in this case an employer will pay both portions on schedule H.

Let me know if that is clear.

if we don't do a payroll and withhold the taxes. The employee is responsible for claiming the income and paying taxes. The publication is not real clear.
if the employee doesn't pay the taxes are we held liable?

The employee is responsible to file the tax return and calculate income tax liability.

Income taxes that are normally withheld are credited toward that tax liability.

If no income tax withheld - nothing to be credited.

Whether there is any income tax liability - depends on total income, filing status, deduction, etc. - and that is determined on the tax return.

That is not specifically related to household employees - but to all taxpayers.

As an household employer - you are not required to run payroll - and are not required to file an employment tax return - instead - you may choose to use schedule H with your individual tax return.

But still - you have to issue W2 form to your household employees.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.