Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I filed taxes in 2014 and my Actual Income was less than…

Customer Question
I filed taxes in...

I filed taxes in 2014 and my Actual Income was less than 44000. I had one student in college and two students under the age of 16. How is it possible that I owed over 3000

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I don't understand what moer you need to know besides the fact that I filed jointly with my husband

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I don't think so. I just don't understand how lower middle class people can owe so much taxes when we have dependents and one in college.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/8/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Can you verify - if that Actual Income 44000 was from wages ONLY - reported ion W2,

or that was a self-employment income - reported on 1099misc, or any other income type?

No. It was all wages from work. No 1099
It was all earned wages from jobs. Not self employment or 1099
My daughter was in college and received scholarship

I just run estimations ...

- assuming you file a joint tax return with your spouse - both below 65

- gross income $44000 from wages only

- standard deduction - three dependents - two under 16

HERE are estimation results

Adjusted Gross Income (AGI):$44,000

Std. Deduction:$12,700

Personal Exemptions:$20,250

Taxable Income - after deductions $11,050

Regular Tax:$1,105

Child Tax Credit:$1,105

Earned Income Credit:$1,309

Additional Child Tax Credit:$895

So based on my calculations - you are entitled for a refund $2,204 plus any income tax withholding from your paychecks

.

Please verify if you provided all information and verify your calculations.

What is my next cause of action

I suggest following steps

- verify if all your information and my assumptions are correct

- verify your calculations

If that will not help

- let me know from your form 1040 - line numbers and amounts - and I will help to identify possible error.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues