Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

The IRS is questioning my deduction to travel to an office…

Customer Question
Hi, the IRS is...

Hi, the IRS is questioning my deduction to travel to an office where I have a private practice on the weekends. My regular job is as a social worker in a medical clinic. My weekend self-employment is as a psychotherapist. Can I deduct the travel to and from my office on the weekend for private practice?

Accountant's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

This is a tax question

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Your question doesn't make sense

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The IRS originally claimed that I had not filed a 2013 return and is taking me to tax court. I finally found proof that I had filed it, and now they are questioning my deductions

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
3/8/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 3 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

IRS rules say that you can deduct mileage driven from your home to work sites (your weekend office) if your home is your principal place of business.

Based on the information you provided, your home is not your principal place of business.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Even though I am self-employed as a psychotherapist, I can't deduct my mileage to drive to my office from my home?

No.

Those are commuting miles, and commuting miles cannot be deducted.

What about driving from my salary job at a medical clinic to my private practice job at a private office?

The mileage between your job and your private office is deductible, but the mileage from your private office to your home is not.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent