Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I earned 16040 in 2017 from a small non-for profit. The

I earned 16040 in...

I earned 16040 in 2017 from a small non-for profit. The non-for -profit neglected to file a w-2 for me, but is happy to do so now. Is it a problem that he has not withheld social security and health levy. What is the best way to proceed. I have no issue with paying what ever taxes are required.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I am an Australia working on an E3 visa, so while I thought that perhaps I could opt for form 1099, I think it would be counter to the terms of my visa.

3/8/2018
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name’s Lane …

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

I’m reading your question now.

Bear with me a moment while I type up my response.

….

Then if you have further questions we can go from there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is my first year of filing a US tax return and so I believe it is OK that no local or State tax was withheld because there would not be a basis for estimating this tax which will come from my world wide income which i have to report this year.

That's exactly right regarding state taxes, although you'll have to file and pay... and yes, the employee employer relationship protects the E3 status.

...

The non-profit DOES need to go ahead and file the W-2. They, however, should be paying 1/2 of the social security and medicare (as an employer) and withholding the other 1/2.

...

Thins will be cleaner if they (and maybe you're saying that have but simply didn't withhold your half, if thy pay in the employer half themselves

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Phone call session started
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS