Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can a married LLC Partnership file schedule C on their 1040…

Can a married LLC...

Can a married LLC Partnership file schedule C on their 1040 with their W2 income? And if so if they fie separate sch C how do they go about it?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Does one file Sch C with joint return and other file C alone?

3/8/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Was the LLC formed at the state level?

If so, a partnership return (Form 1065) is required.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/election-for-married-couples-unincorporated-businesses

The only exception is if the LLC was formed in a community property state, the husband/wife LLC can be a Qualified Joint Venture which means they each report 1/2 of the income and expenses on their respective Schedule Cs.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

I believe so. They received a letter to file 1065.
They asked if they could file 1040 now and get extension on business. They started business with no money. Just a set up fee..

What state are they located in?

They cannot choose when to use Schedule C and when to file a 1065.

If they cannot use Qualified Joint Venture, they will have to file Form 1065

BUT

If the partnership had no income or expenses, there is no filing requirement for Form 1065.

They had both income and expenses. No capital.

What state are they located in?

CA is a community property state.

They can each use Schedule C to report 1/2 the income and expenses for the LLC.

both sch C will be on 1040 MFJ . Do they still need 1065 and K1

Both Schedule Cs will be attached to their 1040.

No need to file 1065 or generate K-1.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Ty your awesome!

My pleasure.

Thank YOU for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great day!

Barbara was excellent. She answered promptly and was clear. Will contact her again. Thanks.

You're welcome!