Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Is there any way that I cannot be held for my husband's past…

Is there any way...

Is there any way that I cannot be held for my husband's past taxes. In the past we have filled jointly, but these are business taxes, interest and penalties from years ago. I am tired of paying them.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I have been paying through my social security and disability payments. Now I have money coming back and I know they will keep it again.

3/8/2018
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. Have you ever applied for injured spouse relief?

No, I have looked into it, but I wasn't sure which of the three types would even apply.
Would this correct form be 8857 Equitable Relief? I am not as concerned about getting any money back as I am to not be held responsible for them. Do I need to file for a divorce or legal separation before doing so?

No, the correct form would be the Form 8379, Injured spouse Allocation.

Link to Form 8379:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8379.pdf

--------------------------------

Form 8379 is filed by one spouse (the injured spouse) on a jointly filed tax return when the joint overpayment was (or is expected to be) applied (offset) to a past-due obligation of the other spouse. By filing Form 8379, the injured spouse may be able to get back his or her share of the joint refund.

----------------------------------

No, you do not need to be divorced or legally separated to apply for this relief.

-----------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant