Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Is there a penalty exception for a divorced spouse receiving…

Is there a penalty exception...
Is there a penalty exception for a divorced spouse receiving the other spouse's retirement distribution as part of the divorce?
3/8/2018
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and can help you out.

There is no penalty as long as you keep the amounts in a retirement account. So, your spouse can transfer the funds from his retirement account to yours with no penalty. Once they hit your account, if you take them out, there would be no applicable exception to the 10% penalty.

Let me know if you need anything else. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

Carter McBride
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks!
Carter McBride
Carter McBride