Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My employer had me travel to Rhode Island a few times last…

My employer had me travel...
My employer had me travel to Rhode Island a few times last year. On my w2 I see that they took out Rhode Island taxes but the wages are the same as what is being reported as federal. When I enter these totals in it is showing a large balance due to Rhode Island. Is there a special form to allocate these wages?
3/8/2018
Fred Rook
Fred Rook, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I can help you. If you only traveled for business to RI during the year, then they should not have taken out RI taxes or reported RI wages on the W2. Did you spend a fair amount of time in RI?

a couple of weeks over the year.

Then they should not have reported your wages as RI wages and further taken out RI taxes. I would speak to your employer immediately and request a revised W2.

Fred Rook
I actually worked in Rhode Island during that time though. They have office locations all over the country.
http://www.tax.ri.gov/forms/2017/Income/2017%20RI-1040NR%20Schedule%20II_m.pdf

I took a look at the Rhode Island taxation website to see if they have a de minimis rule. They specifically state on their website that they do not have such a rule, and wages are taxed on the first dollar earned. Having said this, as a non-resident of Rhode Island, you should be filing Form RI Schedule II and the allocation of your wages earned in Rhode Island would be computed on the form. You definitely should NOT claim and pay RI taxes on all income for the year.

I believe you should still ask your employer for a corrected Form W-2 to show separate entries for wages earned in RI as well as the amount of RI income tax withheld. In addition, your home state likely would give a credit for any tax liability you paid to RI.