Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am starting a new sole proprietorship and I have personal…

I am starting a...

I am starting a new sole proprietorship and I have personal woodworking equipment that I am converting to business equipment. Can I expense the FMV through the de minimis safe harbor rule or do i have to depreciate the equipment?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have woodworking equipment that i use as a hobby and now I want to start a business. most of the equipment is below $2500 in value. I would like to expense it all in the first year rather than depreciate it over 15 years.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I don't know

3/8/2018
Fred Rook
Fred Rook, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I can assist you. You can expense the items by electing the de minimis safe harbor, which means that you can apply the safe harbor to each invoice (ex - $2,500 per invoice). If you are electing the safe harbor for the year, you should attach a statement titled "Section 1.263(a)-1(f) de minimis safe harbor election" to the return. The statement should include your name, address and EIN, as well as a statement that you are making the de minimis safe harbor election.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions for me.

Regards,

Fred

Fred Rook
Also I cannot get a fair market value as the equipment I have is not usually sold used. people hold onto it. can I use a depreciation value instead. in other words. I have a saw that was bought in 2015. I know want to use it in the business. If I did the math for straight line depreciation and subtracted that from the original cost, can i use that for the FMV. example: Saw cost $1500.00 in 2015, use depreciation of $300.00 per year. 2016 $300 + 2017 $300 = $600 total. Start using the equipment in 2018 at a FMV of $900. $1500- $600(accumulated depreciation)?
Phone call session started