Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My daughter and her husband are trying to buy a house. Their…

My daughter and her...

My daughter and her husband are trying to buy a house. Their realtor has told them the monies that they receive as an income through SSI is not taxable therefore they need to call it a gift instead, the amount is below the $14,000 limit for exclusion. I've never heard this before so is there a paper trail that needs to occur in order to legitimize the income to show the realtor? Or can they just call it a gift? thanks

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I don't think so..

3/8/2018
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. The realtor's suggestion is ridiculous. SS income is non-taxable income; it is absolutely not a gift and should not be designated as such. You can document this income source through the social security website. Once you register online, a statement of payments can be printed out to substantiate the source and amount of the income. Here's the SS link: https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/?gclid=CjwKCAiA24PVBRBvEiwAyBxf-dqIYCH_Caq4vZETY_JfVPNo53gD4RWrFcR95QkKUusOUEvWndeSphoCoGAQAvD_BwE

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Tax Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** I've given all the information correctly. What you said makes perfect sense though. I'll pass the information along to them.
Jesse

You're very welcome! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time!

Richard, Tax Attorney