Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I recently married and it will be first time when I will…

Customer Question
I recently married and it...
I recently married and it will be first time when I will fill tax return in the US. We want to do it jointly. One question - do both of us needs just feel 1040 form separatly and stick “marriage”, and “jointly” or we need to do something more? We would like to mail it but currently located in different stares due to work. So, in jeneral is it ok just to stick jointly and married on individuals form and send them separately in different envelopes? Or we need to feel any additional documents? Thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I meant we both work in one state and will apply for one state but temporarily I located in different state. So, I would like to send my form until the end of the week from one post location and husband next week from a new post location also. Would it be problem? Thanks
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/8/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 month ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for requesting me.

You will both file one 1040 and select married filing jointly. Both of you sign the same form.

Include both of your incomes and state withholding information on the same form 1040.

If you each live in different states, you will have to file state state returns for those states.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you able to help me to prepare our tax form? If yes- how much would it cost? Thanks

You would probably be better visiting a local major tax preparation company, CPA, or Enrolled Agent to assist you with the preparation of your tax return.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent