Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I just needed to know if I can claim deduction for an office…

Hello, I just needed...

Hello, I just needed to know if I can claim deduction for an office desk I bought for my home office. I am an independent contractor.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Ok, what other details do you need?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I received 1099s from 2 different companies (they're not ride sharing) and my home is my base where I do the administrative work for both jobs. Also, I received W2 when I worked part time with another company from Nov-Dec 2017 and the position was a work at home support agent. So I was using the home office for all 3 jobs.

3/8/2018
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Richard! Thank you very much!

Good evening. Yes, you can deduct a desk used for your home office. You would claim a Section 179 deduction for the year in which the desk is purchased. You can confirm this in IRS Publication 587 (https://www.irs.gov/publications/p587#en_US_2017_publink1000226392)

Richard, Tax Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much for your help! I really appreciate it.

You're very welcome! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time!

Richard, Tax Attorney