Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Mrs. Pearl.. I was wondering since I am drawing social

Hi Mrs. Pearl.. I...

Hi Mrs. Pearl.. I was wondering since I am drawing social security, and also raisng a grandson do I need to file taxes> I have since my wife left but just wondering because if I cant file and claim him, then he doesn't get claimed

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

No I was on disability for few years before starting SS, I am now 67 years old my grandson is 12. thank you

3/8/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Hi and welcome to our site!

If your grandson is living with you - you definitely may claim him as a dependent.

However whether that will provide you any additional benefits depends on your income.

and depends on whether you have any tax liability.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi I get $11172.00 a year and that's all, not able to work, I've had my grandson so 've he was a month old. A judge gave me custody. He is now 12 I have never gotten anything to help me raise him. So I was just wondering

I assume that your ONLY income is from social security benefits.

If that is correct - NONE of these are taxable - your taxable income is zero - and you do not have ANY tax liability.

That actually means - claiming a dependent (whom you definitely may claim) will NOT reduce your tax liability as it is already zero.

There are some refundable credits - which may be paid even when there is no any tax liability.

For instance EIC - earned income credit - but this is based on earned income - wages or self-employment income - so if you would have earning you might be eligible.

Sorry if you expected differently.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, thank you Mr. Levi, I wasn't sure but did not think I could use him or needed to file. thanks again

Just to summarize..

If your grandson is living with you - he is your qualifying child - and may be claimed as a dependent,

BUT - if you choose to do so - that will NOT provide any additional benefits.

Unfortunately.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor