Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My 37 year old daughter is my dependent but had no health…

My 37 year old...

My 37 year old daughter is my dependent but had no health insurance for 2017 in California where we live. The program I am using say I have to pay around 100.00 per month (whole year) in penalties because she is in my household. Do I have any options?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Why didn't she have health insurance?

Too expensive?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She just never got it. She has 0 income and I have supported her for years. I don't know if she qualified for "free" insurance or not. I will take this link and go over it when I get home from work. I think the issue is that California has MediCal and it was probably free to her but since I supported her the household needed to pay for her???

Yes. She should have applied for MediCal.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will go through the site and see if I can find anything. I can't afford to pay you, sorry my tax refunds have always been in the thousands and now it may be $300.00 just sick about that! Thanks anyway for the info.

You're welcome.

Have a great evening!

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great day!

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent