Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I own 30% of an apartment building. For the reason to get a…

i own 30% of an...
i own 30% of an apartment building. For the reason to get a loan, i m not on title. I paid the 30% of down payment and all the fees, but i m not on the loan.
Can I file tax return for this 30%? Is there anything specific i need to do?
3/8/2018
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional

Hello!

My name is***** will assist you today.

Please give me one moment while I review your question and type my initial response

You are able to deduct what you paid since you are legally obligated to pay loan.

Do you own this property with someone else?

If you have a partnership, the partnership would file a 1065 and pass along the deductions using the K-1

the other partners owns 40% & 30%. Because the sake of loan, my name is ***** ***** title. the other two partners has no problem for me to file the 30%, I just want to make sure it is ok

Yes, you are allowed to deduct the amount you actually pay because, in part, you are legally obligated and actually pay.

my partner said my money can also be considered a loan. the 30% cash flow of every month would be my interest, when we sell the property, they just give me back 30% of proceed. and one of my partner claim 70% on tax. Is that OK?

That's not how I would do it and I have ever heard of a real estate deal established like that...

If you are comfortable with the agreement, then it is ok.

Also, your name can be added to the title with out much work

the reason we have to do this way is, each year, lender will need monitor tax return for the property. And since I m not on loan, when they see the property is owned 40%, 30% & 30%, not 70% & 30%, it might cause a problem.
lender needs one owner owns more than 50%, the 40% is my sister, so I put my 30% under her name

Please let me know if this has answered your question or if you have any additional questions.

When you have no further questions a positive rating of 5 stars is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®