Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can the irs levy business account for personal taxes owed?

Customer Question
Hello. can the irs...

Hello. can the irs levy business account for personal taxes owed?

Accountant's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Indiana

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Filed ? as in?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/8/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

In general

-- if you operate a business as a sole proprietorship - the IRS can levy the entire amount of your business bank account and businesses accounts receivable to pay for your personal tax liability.

-- if the account receivables are that of a corporation or LLC and the tax liability is your personal income tax liability, the IRS cannot levy assets owned by the corporation or by the LLC those business accounts receivable.

the liability owed is for my prior years personal taxes. the business bank account is set up in my business name and tax id#. I am a signer on the account so was worried it could be levied.
oh and the business is an llc but I am the only owner, will this automatically make me a sole proprietor?
Here is a copy of the IRS form showing my tax id#.

If your business is set as an LLC - the IRS may not levy on LLC's bank account.

That LLC is treated as a different "person"

That is regardless if the LLC is reported as a solo proprietorship for income tax purposes.

However - that doesn't mean you have nothing to worry....

I suggest to set an installment payment plan with the IRS - and as long as you are current on that plan - they will not issue any levy.

Another issue that may make your LLC bank account vulnerable for IRS levy - if you commingle business and personal money.

For instance - if you are using LLC's bank account to pay your personal bills - that woudl mean you are using it as personal account - and it may be levied.

Be very careful - not to mix personal and business transactions.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.