Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I’m selling my house and should have a gain of 100k what…

Customer Question
I’m selling my house...

I’m selling my house and should have a gain of 100k what taxes will that 100k be subjected to?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I’m selling

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Oops

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/7/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If that is your primary home - you might qualify to exclude that gain.

If you qualify for the full exclusion - and the sale was not reported on form 1099S - you do not need to report that sale transaction on your tax return.

If that is your second home or rental property - you will need to report that sale - and the gain will be added to your other income.

Let me know if you need any help with determination.

It is my primary residence. So to be clear, the profit from a real estate sale is only taxable by capital gains?

yes - the only gain is considered for income tax purposes.

the gain = (sale price) MINUS (adjusted basis)

your original basis is purchase price

and it is updated by improvement expenses.

However - if the property was owned and used as your primary residence at least two out of last five years before the sale - that will allow you to exclude the gain from taxable income - up to $250,000 for a single person.

So you might be able to exclude that gain.

Please verify.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.