Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I just got our EIN for banking purposes for a local election…

I just got our...

I just got our EIN for banking purposes for a local election campaign. How do I make sure we file the correct 527 paperwork?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My husband just qualified for the local county commission election race. I applied on line for the EIN so that we can open a bank account to avoid co-mingling funds, but i am not sure what to file for tax exempt status as a political group.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I don't think so.

3/7/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

To notify the IRS that it is claiming tax-exempt status, the organization must file Form 8871, Political Organization Notice of Section 527 Status.

The form 8872 is filed to declare contributions.

The IRS has a page that you use to sign in and send this electronically.

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/political-organizations/political-organization-filing-and-disclosure

That page should be all you need to register an file.

A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4