Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I'm filling out the 1041 form for my client's father estate…

I'm filling out the 1041...
I'm filling out the 1041 form for my client's father estate who passed away a few years ago. My tax software when I enter interest and dividends has a box I can check to indicate "Grantor". Should I check this box?Also, what is the Entity Name Control?
3/7/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Do not check that box - that is for grantor's trust when income is reported on grantor's individual tax return.

It might was a grantor's trust when the grantor was alive - but not anymore.

If that is an estate - and there is no trust - that is not an option.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what about my second question?

Sorry - just overlooked...

When you applied for your EIN you provided the name of your entity, which is used to assign your name control and will remain so unless you request a name changed.

Look for the computer-generated notice that was issued by the IRS when you applied for your EIN.

This notice is issued as a confirmation of your application for, and receipt of an EIN.

Use the exact name from that notice.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor