Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I need to pay an employee for some extra hours that were…

I need to pay an...
I need to pay an employee for some extra hours that were missed in a scheduled payroll. I have completed my payroll liabilities filing for the period and am not sure how to pay them and then still file correctly.
3/7/2018
Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

I'm Fiona, former IRS revenue agent. I am looking at your question and will get back to you soon. Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP,IMTA

Dear Customer,

Payroll deduction and recognition is current, cash basis.

So, if you pay them now in 2018, even for work done in 2015, the W-2 income is listed as 2018, the payroll returns such as Form 941 filed is for 2018.

In sum, the pay you made in the first quarter of 2018 is 2018 filing.

We correct prior year payroll returns when those returns have mistakes. Your prior years return is correctly filed based on the payment in the prior years.

For this employee, you are paying him now. The W-2 and Form 941, etc. are for 2018.

Please feel free to follow up.

Regards,

Fiona

Dr. Fiona Chen
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
HI Fiona,Thank you for your input here. This answer warrants a follow up question-so If I run additional payroll, will I need to amend my 940 payment and return that I just filed for March of 2018?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Or could I simply make an additional deposit to account for the extra payroll I need to run?
Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen