Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I was surprised to be asked about SSA lump payments more…

I was surprised to...

I was surprised to be asked about SSA lump payments more than a decade ago. I don't have paper work that far back, but I didn't apply for Social Security when I first became eligible and did recieved a lump sum when I did so several months later

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Not that I know of

3/7/2018
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name’s Lane …

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

I’m reading your question now.

Bear with me a moment while I type up my response.

….

Then if you have further questions we can go from there

What exactly is your qiestion?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why the interest in this decade old payment and what if I can't get the info?

Can you attach the communication? (blacking out any personally identifying information)

...

They could simply be verifying numbers.

...

I'd need to know more about the context

• Timeline
  • When you filed
  • At what age
  • amount of lump sum
  • When you asked for payments to start on your application
  • etc
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry I cannot. I was doing my taxes doing a web service and was not able to go back and find the page. Basically it asked if I had received any lump sum SSA payments in prior years
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was asked somewhere after deductions I think, and did request the amount of the lump sum. It was not at the beginning of the application. Basically all tax info was already on the form.

Ahh ok, that was just to be sure that you had not received a lump sum in the last three years, so that a special averaging could be done that doesn't push you up into a higher bracket ... this happens when a social security disability claim, for example, is paid all in one year ... but is to cover more than one year of retroactive disability pay

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. Bye

You're very welcome ... Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) …is thanks enough!

That's the only way I'll be compensated by JustAnswer for the work here

...

Thank you,

Lane

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS