Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I need to add Social Security Benefits to my tax return,

Customer Question
I need to add...

I need to add Social Security Benefits to my tax return

Accountant's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?

Dell not sure of the model number but it is a laptop

Accountant's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your laptop?

Microsoft Windows 10

Accountant's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Microsoft? Have you installed any updates recently?

No

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Just need to include SS Benefits

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
3/7/2018
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 3 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane ... sorry for the bot (real person here)

...

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

I’m reading your question now.

Bear with me a moment while I type up my response.

….

Then if you have further questions we can go from there.

If you're using Turbotax or on of the other packages, you should be able simply to input the amounts when asked, and the program will calculate how much (IF ANY) of the Social Security is taxable.

...

If you're actually trying to do this by hand you'll have either to use the worksheet in IRS publication 915 OR use one of the available online calculators to do what that worksheet does.

...

Here's an excellent calculator for this: https://www.calcxml.com/calculators/how-much-of-my-social-security-benefit-may-be-taxed