Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

One last question regarding my earlier 1098-T question from…

One last question regarding my...
One last question regarding my earlier 1098-T question from today...
The 1098-T line 2 is $7,523.54, line 5 is $1,100. What number goes on to the 1040X? I was told to use line 3 of that form. Is the standard or itemized deduction for that box the $7,523.54 from the 1098-T or is it the standard deduction from line 24 of the 1040A. Should I attach a copy of the original return and the 1098-T to the 1040X when I mail it.
3/7/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

You cannot claim the amounts that were paid with scholarships. You reduce the box one amount by any scholarships and that is the amount to use.

Do not send that with the return and do not send a copy of your original return.

If you are looking at the 1040x and the standard deduction amount then you use the standard deduction from the 1040A.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, correction. I meant line 2 of the 1040X. o if the standard deduction on line 24 of my daughters 1040A reads $6,350 then line 2 of the 1040X should be:
Line 3 a. 6,35 b. (6,350) c. 0Do I need t fill out lines and 3?
This has become very confusing to me .
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wrong question Let me repeat
Sorry, correction. I meant line 2 of the 1040X. So, the standard deduction on line 24 of my daughters 1040A reads $6,350 then line 2 of the 1040X should be:
Line 2a. 6,350b. (6,350) c. 0Do I need to ill out lines and 3?
This has become very confusing to me .

Line 2 is the standard deduction she claimed on the 1040A. Col A and C will be teh same and Col B is the 0 for most o fthis because she is not changing everything.

Do it like this if you get confused, everything for col A is from her original filing. COl C is the new correct then B you enter the differences in A and C

Enter all the A col first.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I guess my question is where is this change reflected on the 1040X. Is it on line 2 or line 15 (refundable credits)

Credits

It has nothing to do with the standard deduction

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. That was my original problem. Yesterday, the first consultant on this site told me the changes needed to be reflected on line 2 of the 1040X. Everything from that point on got confusing as I saw no correlation between the 6,350 standard deductions and the numbers on the 1098-T.
I think I've got it. Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Here was that original answer;
To amend your daughters taxes, she will have to file a 1040X, which I have linked to below.
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf
She will complete line 2 A, B and C.
You will explain in Part III why you are submitting the 1040X . "Explanation of changes. In the space provided below, tell us why you are filing Form 1040X. "Please let me know if this has answered your question or if you have any additional questions.When you have no further questions a positive rating of 5 stars is much appreciated.Thank you!

Well, you do have to do part III to explain..............sorry about that

Sometimes it is easier to get the regular blank forms and do the return then carry that info over to the 1040X col C

Take your time.

You are most welcome.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4