Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Question on donations. I buy and rebuild old bikes (and

Customer Question
Question on donations....

Question on donations. I buy and rebuild old bikes (and sometimes new ones), and donate them to Vietnam Veterans of America. Max limit on donations is $250 a day, but if I donate a bike worth more than that (using Bike Bluebook's Value Guide), can I declare the Blue Book value?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Only that the assessment of the bike's condition is done by me, as an experienced biker/builder.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
3/7/2018
Tax Professional: Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 3 months ago
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and can help you out.

There is no max contribution per day limit. You can donate these bikes and take the deduction.

You do need a contemporaneous written acknowledgement of the donation from the organization. If you donate more than $5,000 worth of bikes, then all the bikes will need to be appraised.

Let me know if you need anything else. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

Hey! Just wanted to follow up to see if you needed anything else. If not, please leave a rating so I can get credit for helping you out. Thanks!

Carter McBride
Carter McBride