Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Pearl. I was jst told I could deduct mileage for this year's…

Hello, Pearl. I was...

Hello, Pearl. I was jst told I could deduct mileage for this year's return. I am a retired teacher who travels to tutor everyday. Am I eligible for this type of deduction?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I travel everyday to tutor my students. I put on a lot of miles doing so.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Like?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

In your self-employment for tutoring you can write off your job-related transportation costs. The IRS sets the exact per-mile deduction each year. For example, in fiscal year 2017, it was 53.5 cents; for FY 2018, it's 54.5 cents. You deduct the write-off as a business expense on Schedule C.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4