Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My refund was mailed on February 12, but I still have not…

Customer Question
My refund was mailed...

My refund was mailed on February 12, but I still have not received it?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Shouldn't I have received it by now?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I know on the 15th of February I received a bunch of papers and flyers in the mail - I took my car to the car wash and cleaned out the papers, mail, etc. in the garbage at the car wash

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
3/7/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 5 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If your refund was MAILED on February 12, you should have received it by now. It sounds as though you may have thrown it out.

The IRS guidance on this is the following:

If you lost your refund check, you should initiate a refund trace:

• Call us at(###) ###-####(toll-free) and either use the automated system or speak with an agent.

• However, if you filed a married filing jointly return, you can’t initiate a trace using the automated systems. Download and complete the Form 3911, Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund, or the IRS can issue you a Form 3911 to get the replacement process started.

Your claim for a missing refund is processed one of two ways:

• If the check wasn't cashed, you'll receive a replacement check once the original check is canceled.
  • If the refund check was cashed, the Bureau of the Fiscal Service (BFS) will provide you with a claim package that includes a copy of the cashed check. Follow the instructions for completing the claim package. BFS will review your claim and the signature on the canceled check before determining whether they can issue you a replacement check. The BFS review can take up to six weeks to complete.

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/refund-inquiries/refund-inquiries-0

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. Please take a moment to rate my answer with a 5-star rating to let me know that I have achieved my goal.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb