Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I live in North Carolina and will be inheriting a mobile…

I live in North...

I live in North Carolina and will be inheriting a mobile home in California which I will then have to sell for 50k. What will my state and federal tax liability be?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What do you need?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Not that I can think of.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and can help you with this.

Most likely nothing. When you inherit the property it steps up basis to fair market value on the date of death. If you sell it closely to the date of death, that usually establishes that is what the fair market value is. So your sales price will equal your basis and no gain or loss is recorded.

Let me know if you need anything else. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

Thank you. Great relief.

No problem. Let me know if you need anything else. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

Carter McBride