Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I receive death benefits from SSA each month for both of my…

Customer Question
I receive death benefits...

I receive death benefits from SSA each month for both of my grandchildren that I am raising...Do I have to claim this as income on my taxes?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I'm not sure what else I need to tell you....I do have legal guardianship of both children.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
3/7/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 5 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Do I have to claim this as income on my taxes?

That is not YOUR income - and you should not include these amounts into your tax return.

You still may claim both children as your dependents if otherwise they are your qualifying children.

Let me know if you need any help with determination.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.