Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I won a new car in a raffle. Now I got a 1099MISC reporting…

I won a new...

I won a new car in a raffle. Now I got a 1099MISC reporting a value of $54K as a Nonemployee compensation. Also I had to pay the taxes to get the car out of the dealer ($5400). After that I sold back to the dealer at $45. How I included this on my taxers?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

That's all I need to know for now.

3/7/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

The value of the car you won is correctly reported on form 1099misc.

However - that value should be reported in box 3 as Other income - and not in box 7 - unless that is your business activity.

I suggest to communicate with the sender and ask for correction.

On your tax return - report that amount on form 1040 line 21.

When you sold the car back to the dealer - - that sale transaction is reported on form 8949 - and you will realize a capital loss.

Regarding taxes you paid - we need to verify if these are income tax ? if year - that amount is reported on 1099misc and credited toward your tax liability.

If these are sales tax - you might be able to deduct on schedule A if you itemize.

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor