Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

We built a small home on our property for my wife's 96 year…

Customer Question
We built a small...

We built a small home on our property for my wife's 96 year old mother to live in so my wife could be close to care for her. Are there any deductions for caring for her mother, or the home we let her live in?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I'm not sure,

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/7/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 month ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

You may be allowed to claim her mother as a dependent. As long as her income is below the $4050 amount she would qualify. That would mean her medical costs are also claimed.

Building the home is not a deduction. You are not charging her rent so you cannot use the cost of the home as a deduction.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited. Thank you in advance

Did the answer address your concerns?

Hello, just checking

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4