Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a question about who I will file taxes to, the U.S.

I have a question...

I have a question about who I will file taxes to, the U.S. Federal Government or Guam.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My question is in regards ***** ***** bona fide residence test. I think I fit two, but it's the closer connection to the U.S. and in relation to my specific job.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I work for a religious missionary order based in Orlando. I receive my paychecks from Orlando while working in Guam temporarily. When I file my taxes, I am considered self employed as my company does not withhold SS.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All my donors are on the Mainland U.S. I am not registered to vote in Guam, though I have a drivers license. My banking is done with banks based on the mainland, Chase and Bank of America. When I fill out entry cards when visiting foreign countries, I use my address in California as my home address.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/7/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

An individual is generally considered a bona fide resident of a territory/possession (in your case, Guam) if he or she

(1) is physically present in the territory for 183 days during the taxable year,

(2) does not have a tax home outside the territory during the tax year, and

(3) does not have a closer connection to the U.S. or a foreign country. However, U.S. citizens and resident aliens are permitted certain exceptions to the 183-day rule.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/individuals-living-or-working-in-us-possessions

Based on the information you provided, you would file a tax return in the U.S. only.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. That's all for now. Thanks for helping me clear up my confusion.

My pleasure.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. Please take a moment to rate my answer with a 5-star rating to let me know that I have achieved my goal.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great day!

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent