Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a question about who I will file taxes to, the U.S.

I have a question...

I have a question about who I will file taxes to, the U.S. Federal Government or Guam.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My question is in regards ***** ***** bona fide residence test. I think I fit two, but it's the closer connection to the U.S. and in relation to my specific job.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I work for a religious missionary order based in Orlando. I receive my paychecks from Orlando while working in Guam temporarily. When I file my taxes, I am considered self employed as my company does not withhold SS.

All my donors are on the Mainland U.S. I am not registered to vote in Guam, though I have a drivers license. My banking is done with banks based on the mainland, Chase and Bank of America. When I fill out entry cards when visiting foreign countries, I use my address in California as my home address.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/7/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

An individual is generally considered a bona fide resident of a territory/possession (in your case, Guam) if he or she

(1) is physically present in the territory for 183 days during the taxable year,

(2) does not have a tax home outside the territory during the tax year, and

(3) does not have a closer connection to the U.S. or a foreign country. However, U.S. citizens and resident aliens are permitted certain exceptions to the 183-day rule.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/individuals-living-or-working-in-us-possessions

Based on the information you provided, you would file a tax return in the U.S. only.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

No. That's all for now. Thanks for helping me clear up my confusion.

My pleasure.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. Please take a moment to rate my answer with a 5-star rating to let me know that I have achieved my goal.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great day!