Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I had a water pipe break in the house, the insurance company…

I had a water...

I had a water pipe break in the house, the insurance company paid all but $1500.00 of the total amount, can I declare a loss of that difference on my tax return, and if yes how do I list it.

Accountant's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

3/6/2018
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Hello!

My name is***** will assist you today.

Please give me one moment while I review your question and type my initial response

You will report casualty losses of personal use property on line 20 of Schedule A and attach Form 4684.

I have placed further detail about the forms and process below.

____

If your property is personal-use property or isn't completely destroyed, the amount of your casualty loss is the lesser of:

• The adjusted basis of your property, or
  • The decrease in fair market value of your property as a result of the casualty

Individuals are required to claim their casualty and theft losses as an itemized deduction on Form 1040, Schedule A., Itemized Deductions

For property held by you for personal use, you must subtract $100 from each casualty or theft event that occurred during the year after you've subtracted any salvage value and any insurance or other reimbursement.

Then add up all those amounts and subtract 10% of your adjusted gross income from that total to calculate your allowable casualty and theft losses for the year. Report casualty and theft losses on Form 4684.pdf, Casualties and Thefts.

Please let me know if this has answered your question or if you have any additional questions.

When you have no further questions a positive rating of 5 stars is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the prompt response and the information regarding this question.

If you do have any further questions in the future you may request me specifically if you would like.

If you have no further questions please take a moment to accept the answer, which will notify JustAnswer that I have completed your question.

Have a great day.

Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®